Monday, December 8, 2008

My experience with Guitar

Today, I'll talk something about what to know before one starts to learn playing guitar which I've been doing for the past 3 months.

How did this idea of learning guitar came across my mind?

I always had this interest and enthusiasm on dance and music. But I never had the opportunity and resources(whatever that may mean) since childhood. Even I participated in some group dance competitions in my engineering school. But now, thanks to the economic recession, I got some free time to pursue my interest. Also I was inspired by the movie Rock on that was released in this summer. What an excellent movie !! So, when I planned to learn some music instrument, first thing that came to my mind was guitar. This is the generation of rock and playing guitar has the look and the style and most of the songs can be played on it. So I joined a music institute 'Melowings' to learn guitar.

My initial experiences

First thing I learnt is that learning guitar or any other music instrument requires a lot of patience and dedication. What I had in mind was that I go to the music institute, attend some classes and then I will be able to play most of the songs. But once I started learning it, I came to know that it's not as easy as I thought it would be. It takes quite some time like 6-8 months to attain some degree of perfection. It would require a lot of patience in the initial days as one might be learning very basic stuff like notation, parts of guitar, how to read the notes etc. But it is the most important part of learing guitar. If you dont know what is what, forget about how.

Believe me, learning guitar is not as easy as one might think before starting learning and not as tough as it might seem during the initial days of learning. Practice for around 30mins to 1 hour every day and you wouldn't believe yourself after 3 months. Practice and Consistency are the key words here. Of course with practice and consistency, one can achieve anything in this world.

I went to the music institute for 2 months, 3 classes per week and I bought the guitar in the first week itself.

After 2 months

I didn't attend classes in the last week of 2nd month as I had Cat'08 on the following sunday. I thought I would resume my classes from monday onwards. But Cat didn't go well for me and later I had no mood to attend music classes. Suddenly many things cropped up in my mind like ' I am still jobless(waiting for my joining date) ', ' My dreams of MBA this year almost ended this year ', ' What to do next? ', ' I no more can spend my father's or brother's money ', ' I'm now 23 and am still depending on my family.' Am I sounding ridiculous and silly? But that's the case and I had some sort of guilty feeling and I wanted to cut down all the expenses except one thing. That is my mobile bill, the service of which provides me the facility of making unlimited free std calls; minimum necessity for a person who has a girl friend.

And so, I had not touched my guitar for the next one week. After that I started practicing again by taking the help of vast amount of material on the internet. There were lots of video lessons on how to play guitar on youtube and many other sites which provides the tabs for playing some of the popular songs.

Now

I'm learning with the help of pdf's and video lessons that are there on the internet. I can play few popular hindi songs. Now that I know the basics, I'm getting hold of all the new things I now come across. Again thanks to the economic recession, I am able to devote some time to this interest of mine. By practicing regularly without getting frustrated at any point of time, I'm sure I can be a good guitarist in the days to come.


No comments: