Monday, December 22, 2008

Tell us something about you

- is the question that is frequently asked in interviews. In this post, I will try to analyze this question, what I think when someone asks me this question and what are the possible answers that can be told and in the end I try to summarize to reach the best answer. I don't think all this can be done at a time, not because of the length of the post but because of the importance and value that this question holds. The answer has the strength to make or mar chances of getting through the interview process.

So far, in the interviews that I came across my answer to this question was to start from the past, the places where I was born and brought up, my education etc.

" I was born in XXXXX. I had my schooling at different places in Andhra Pradesh as my father had frequent transfers in his job. Finally we settled in XXXXX and later I appeared for engineering entrance exam and secured so and so AIR and got admitted into XXXXX institute and I completed my bachelors and masters. "

Now if I look back at this answer, I doubt if the interviewer ever expected this answer. WTF can he do by knowing my place of birth and my AIR in the engineering entrance exam. I now feel that what I've told him is about my past and not about me. As a prospective MBA student, if I answer this way in my interviews of B-School's, I am sure they will not be impressed. What I lacked was the preparation for this kind of questions. Knowing oneself requires a lot of introspection and I've always evaded from knowing me. I don't know why. May be I was too sluggish or I didn't wanted to stress my brain or it was somekind of fear that I may fail to find the answer. But now the time has come to break out of the bubble surrounding me, so that I can realise where I stand in this world and to know my limitations.

No comments: